Tuesday 24 August 2010

Sutton Gault


The first ride on the site took me out of Woodhurst east toward Bluntisham along the Wheatsheaf Road. I carried on across the Somersham road down through Bluntisham and Earith.


Woodhurst


After crossing the Ouse at Earith I turned left towards Sutton. This is a long road that runs alongside a dyke, cycling in this direction you are sheltered from the winds that blow across the Fens. After climbing the short hill into the village I turned left towards Sutton Gault. The road had recently been resurfaced and was covered in loose gravel so great care needed to be taken. The road drops down to the river and crosses it next to the Anchor pub.

Sutton Gault

On the way out of the village along the drove road I was passed by a car, now I am used to having lorry wing mirrors passing close to my head as I am riding but a harp was a new experience. Actually it didn't come that close but it was unusual The road goes on for about 5 miles across the fen toward Chatteris. It's a really nice road very quiet and being across the fens dead flat.


Harpist


At the end of the Drove I turned left along the Chatteris road towards Somersham. This can be a long drag if the wind is against you, luckily today it was nice and still.



Chatteris Road

After about 4 miles you reach Somersham, I passed through the village and then turned left along the Somersham road towards St Ives and returning home to Woodhurst.

1 comment:

  1. Really, really, I find it hard to like the flatness of East Anglia - but I love the photo of the Pink Panther.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete